Just got back from a doctor appointment. Any of you who have seen me lately knows about my poor swollen feet. Finally the doctor is taking it seriously (she hasn't been recently) because I gained 6 lbs. and my blood pressure was slightly elevated. They drew blood and are checking for toxemia. The results should be in tomorrow and I have a follow-up appointment on Thursday to be re-evaluated. Until then (or more likely until my c-section), I am on strict bed rest. This is a step up from where I was when I had the preterm labor, as then I was only on "modified" level. This time, I cannot get up to do anything except use the bathroom and can only leave the house for doctor visits. I have to lay on my left side at all times, including meals. No driving. No sitting up. Basically, the only level of bed rest remaining above mine is being admitted to the hospital, which they don't do this late in pregnancies. Had I been this swollen and had all the other symptoms even a few weeks ago, that's where I'd be.
Needless to say, I am not thrilled about this. I don't really understand why she won't just let me have the c-section a little early if she's so concerned. I mean, I guess she wants Zach to have the longest possible time in-utero, but at this point, what is a few days?
Anyway, that is my update for now. I will write more when the blood results come back and after my appointment on Thursday. If we're lucky, maybe Zach will be allowed to come this week after all. Time will tell.
Update June 2, 2009:
The blood work came back "normal", but I didn't get much information besides that. The doctor will be out of the office until Thursday, when we are scheduled for a follow-up appointment, so until then I'm stuck in bed. The bed rest has helped a little bit with the swelling, but not so much with the pain in my hips! I keep reminding myself that I did this for two weeks before, but this time it's a lot harder and more uncomfortable. Brad stayed home with me today and my mom is staying with me tomorrow since I'm not even allowed to go up or down stairs. We ought to know more after the appointment.
No comments:
Post a Comment