Monday, April 13, 2009

Eventful Easter

Zach wants his basket NOW!

Easter was a big day for all of us, and not for the usual holiday reasons. Most of you know, because we had been texting everyone all day keeping you all updated, but I thought I should post here for posterity's sake. And for more of an explanation.

It started at about 5am in the morning. I woke up with some pain in my tummy. After changing positions, the pains were coming more often and getting a little sharper. Brad noticed me awake about an hour later and convinced me to start timing them with our cool little contraction tracker program. Sure enough, they were about 6-7 minutes apart, lasting about 1 minute 40 seconds each. I really did not want to go to Labor and Delivery and miss Easter service at church. What can I say, I'm stubborn and I like my holidays! After trying all the tricks in every one of my pregnancy books (lay on your left side, drink water, eat something, go to the bathroom, get your back rubbed), I took a hot shower and that seemed to help. The pain wasn't gone, but it was bearable enough for me to function. So we got dressed and went to church. Of course, while we were there, the contractions came back. I had mom take a picture while we were there to prove we looked nice at one point on this Easter! Looking at it now, I look huge. :)

We went home and phoned the doctor, who told us that yes, we really ought to come to Labor and Delivery. In fact, she says to me sweetly on the phone, I should have gone in much sooner and not been so stubborn. My bad. So we packed up my hospital bag, just in case, and went.

When we got there, they hooked me up to the Non Stress Test monitors--one for me and my contractions, one for Zach. They checked me for dilation, which luckily I was not. They then monitored my contractions for about three hours. They were textbook patterns, of which I am very impressed and a little proud. After the monitoring period proved that my contractions were steady and not going away, they gave me a shot of something called Terbutaline ("Terb"), a muscle relaxer. Another hour of monitoring and my contractions eased off. I was allowed to go home! Brad and I were both really tired and really hungry, because at this point we had missed TWO family dinners of yummy food, not to mention Easter candy. Here's a shot Brad took while we were waiting to be discharged.

We got home and mom nicely brought over some Easter dinner for us, which we gladly ate. However, after dinner, the contractions came back. I chalked it up to indigestion and/or gas, since I hadn't eaten all day and had just wolfed down two whole plates of food, plus dessert. But the pains were worse this time, and a LOT closer together. I tried to lay down and get a little shut eye, but it was impossible. The pains were so bad I was almost blacking out with each one, and I wasn't getting any breaks in between. Then came the extra special fun: I threw up until there was nothing left. Doing this while having contractions is NOT fun. Brad called the doctor again, who told us that we needed to go back to Labor and Delivery immediately.

So, back we went. This time they put us in a private room instead of a curtained triage room. I was re-hooked to the monitors and quickly put on an IV (in the side of my wrist, which by the way, HURTS!). I got another Terb shot plus an IV injection of an anti-nausea medication. We were there for only about an hour and a half after that while they monitored me and I received the majority of a bag of IV fluids to prevent dehydration. The contractions settled down again and we were again released home. This time I was given instructions to be on bedrest for Monday until my regular doctor appointment, which I convienently had scheduled already. I was also told to drink a ton of water and make sure to keep my bladder empty, as we have learned a full bladder makes contractions not only more likely but FAR more painful.

And here we are! I am so thankful I have a laptop from work. It has kept me busy most of the day. Brad opted to work from home, if nothing else because he didn't get to bed until almost 4am, but also to help me stay put. I have to say, I am a lucky woman to have such a caring and cool-headed hubby! Our doctor appointment is still in another hour from now, and we will likely find out what measures need to be taken to keep Zach "in the oven". I would not be surprised if it leads to more bedrest. We will know more soon.

Hope everyone had a good Easter. Sorry we couldn't spend it with you all. Brad was especially sorry to not spend it with one of the several hams he knew was awaiting him! Our strong-willed son had different plans for us. Hopefully he settles down and stops giving mommy so much grief. He and I have a deal that he can't come before the baby shower in May :) Like mother, like son I guess!

*Edited to add:* Just got back from the doctor appointment. I am on what is called Modified Bed Rest for the next week, and "as much resting as possible" for the week following that before my next appointment. Basically, I have to stay in bed as much as I can. I can get up to shower and use the bathroom, and am allowed to go downstairs a couple times a day to get food. I can't do any housework (which might just kill me!) or be on my feet for any length of time, such as shopping. I have to lay on my left side when I'm in bed. It's a good thing I have a laptop!

Also in baby news, the doctor checked his position today and he is indeed breech. There is still plenty of time for him to turn around, but I don't know if he will. He's been laying that way since our 3D ultrasound back on February 1st, and we already know he's a stubborn little boy! If he does not move, then that means I will end up having a scheduled c-section. Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment