The handles were so antique and feminine, and the whole thing needed cleaned up considerably. We got it off of craigslist for $25, so I figured a little elbow grease would be in order anyways. I tried scrubbing the drawer and door faces, but it made the laminate buckle more than I'd hoped. Then when I went to take the handles off, I found out that they were not the original handles and that the previous owner had re-drilled (quite horribly might I add) a second set of holes to make these ugly things go on. This all took some ingenuity on my part! I managed to find some contact paper that matched the room beautifully. Then, while I was at Hobby Lobby, I went looking for some little wooden dog shapes or dog bones or something that I could turn into handles. Instead, I found the cutest little pre-painted doggie cut outs! So, with all that in hand, I sat down and this is what I came up with:
And a close up of the front, since the picture above is a little on the blurry side...
I am still debating on whether I want to put some little white knob handles on it or not. I can grab it just fine from the sides, but the question is, will I still be able to do that with a wiggly little baby laying on the table :) I figure with the contact paper, if and when we have another baby and want to change the decor of it, we can just peel the paper off and redo it to match that baby's room. I also bought two more of each type of doggie and plan on affixing those between the handles on the yet-to-be-built dresser so that the furniture matches. I'm still debating on whether or not I want to put little squares of contact paper as backgrounds for those doggies so that they will be easier to remove when Zach wants to change his room when he's older.My next projects include painting a picture (I'm thinking of reproducing the Puppy Love stamp from the 1980's) to hang in the room and painting the wooden letters I bought that spell out his first name to hang over the closet. It ought to keep me busy for at least a few of these days off!
Also, for those of you who have been following this blog since its inception, you may notice that there is another baby registry link on the side. I want to make sure our theory on all these registries is understood. We figure that with three places, there will be at least one close to anyone who would want to get us something from a registry. I know here in Columbus, the Babies R' Us--es (what *is* the plural of that?) are few and far between... I think there is one at Sawmill & Bethel, and the other is down on 256 in Reynoldsburg. In other words, they aren't super close to each other, let alone many family members. Then the Targets are getting more and more spread out these days. The Buy Buy Baby (which is a subsidiary of Bed, Bath & Beyond... and laid out much the same way when you go into it) is up at Easton where the CompUSA used to be. The registry there is more toys, books (which we couldn't register for at the other places!) and clothes than the other two registries too. Anyways, we obviously don't expect to get everything we registered for by any means. We figured this way there is something in everyone's price range and on everyone's side of town.
Next on our list of baby-things-to-do: Tuesday we have our 28 week appointment (which still blows me away), and next Saturday we have our childbirth and baby care class. Then in the following three weeks we come up on our tour of the Labor and Delivery floor at the hospital, a meet-n-greet with the new pediatrician (who yes, treated me when I was a child! Dr. Meyer has retired, but we are planning on using that same practice, many of whom still remember me. I think it's kind of neat, but I'm a dork), and another doctor appointment at 31 weeks. Not much left to go I guess!
No comments:
Post a Comment