Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Two Month doctor visit and some pictures

Today Zach had his 2 month well visit check-up at the pediatrician. The good news is that he is up to 11 lbs. 4 oz. (with a cloth diaper on, so I'm guessing his own body weight is just below 11 lbs.) and 23 inches long. Our little man is definitely growing fast! The doctor was impressed with the fact that he can eat up to 8oz. at a sitting already... most kids don't do this until at least three months. I'm sure this means that when he's a teenager we will be eaten out of house and home! :) We have been adding rice cereal to his formula bottles already, which has helped majorly in the gas and spit up areas. She said that if he continues on this trend we will probably start food by four months. I think Zach is excited about food, because he watches us so intently whenever he sees us eating something. He will watch us pick up the food, watch it be raised to our mouth, watch us bite it, and watch the fork or piece of finger food return to the plate. I think it's cute, but I always wonder if he thinks he's missing out on something!

Unfortunately, today's visit also came with a host of immunizations. I had been on the fence about whether or not to delay some of these. Kids nowadays get three times the shots they did when I was a baby, and the debate is still very heated as to whether these shots are all safe or if some of them attribute to autism. I wasn't really sure where I stood, but our pediatrician's office was very stern about us getting them on the APA recommended schedule. We just decided not to fight it (although I'm still up in the air about the chicken pox one he has to get when he's older that isn't even 100% protection... more on that eventually). Poor little guy has two very sore little chubby thighs and is overall pretty fussy and upset. Even his favorite thing in the world, his swing, is not consoling him. We were bummed that he had to go through so much when he can't even have a lollipop or ice cream afterward yet, so we went to Babies R' Us and picked out a new toy for him: GiggleBytes the Lil' Laptop (which we must have gotten on clearance since we paid half that!), so he can be just like Mommy and Daddy when we're both playing on our computers. When he's older, I fully intend to be the mommy that takes him for a frosty chocolate milkshake when he gets procedures done at the doctor!

Lastly, this weekend Zach made his first trip to Hocking Hills, where Brad's family has a camper. He went on his first hike, and ended up being treated like a total rock star. He was sporting his little sunglasses my mom got for him, and a group of Indian tourist girls asked to have their picture taken with him. We thought it was cute, but a little strange. About twenty minutes later, another little teenage girl asked to take his picture because he was so cute! Everyone we passed made a comment about the "cute little sunglasses on the baby". This kid is going to have a complex when he's older! :) Needless to say, I took a bunch of pictures! He also had his first dip in a swimming pool, which was not his favorite thing. Maybe when he's older.

Zach with Mommy at the camper


Zach with Daddy on our hike at Old Man's Cave


Our little Rock Star!

1 comment:

  1. Can you give him tylenol for the pain? Probably tomorrow he will be very sleepy, do not be alarmed.

    Caleb was eating that much at that age too, and is not eating 10 oz. I decided to not feed him solids until he was very close to 6 months though. To be honest, there is no difference in his milk consumption on the days he eats lots of solids versus no solids. I expected the solids would decrease milk but it didnt, and from what I have read it seldom does. I am not saying you shouldnt feed him solids at 4 months just that you may want to do some research and not just go with what the doctor says because the new thing is actually that babies dont need babyfood at all and would be just fine with just formula/breastmilk until they have teeth and can eat regular food.

    ReplyDelete